Monday, March 4, 2013

Sixth Hat

This took somewhat more work (thought-wise) than the first five hats - but ultimately it seems that the skill required for cabling is more math and memory than craft. 
The size was pretty perfect except the ribbed band at the bottom was too loose so I ended up having to re-thread the needle in just above the ribbing and then snip it and separate the ribbed band and frog it and splice it and re-knit the ribbed band with a decrease of about 20 stitches - and I made the ribbed band a full inch shorter than it originally was.  Wish I had a pic of before - but I only have after.  

Yarn: Madelinetosh Worsted DK - Stormy Night (or something like that)
I like knitting with this stuff, but it isn't very tightly plied and it splits fairly easily.  The upside is that the variegated dye results in a beautiful abrash AND the yarn picks up the light differently depending on the angle of the thread, so the more movement in the pattern, the more it really jumps.
downside is that it isn't a very soft yarn.  Feels more suitable for a tank-top or something than a hat.  
Anyway, the wretch likes how it came out and can't believe he had the patience to keep it up for a whole hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment